[LEDE-DEV] ar71xx: Non-Unique MAC addresses for GL-iNet GL-AR750

Sven Eckelmann sven at narfation.org
Wed May 9 23:08:51 PDT 2018

On Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2018 05:29:01 CEST Dongming Han wrote:
> We actually allocate two MAC per GL-AR750. In manufacturing procedure, every
> scan of device label consumes two MAC in database.

Thanks for the fast reply.

> Is there any pitfall not having unique MAC per interface on some use case?
> Many thanks for your advice.

Yes, I can for example not correctly run batman-adv over both wlan interfaces
and one/both of the ethernet interfaces. At least not without making sure that
I manually change one of the devices mac addresses.

batman-adv will not be able to correctly distinguish the ethernet and WLAN
link because they look like coming from the same interface (even when they are
actually from complete different types of interfaces).

There are most likely similar problems with other protocols on top of
ethernet. Of course, it "works" when you always bridge most of the interfaces
together and only require two different BSSIDs - what GL-iNet is doing in
their firmware.

Kind regards,
	Sven