[LEDE-DEV] About stripping kernel module

Weijie Gao hackpascal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 08:35:55 PST 2018

Hello everyone,

Recently I tried to turn on option CONFIG_COLLECT_KERNEL_DEBUG (Global
build settings -> Collect kernel debug information) in menuconfig to
collect debug symbols of all kernel modules but found no symbol left
in these ko files.

I found out that it's the patch 202-reduce_module_size.patch that
removes all symbols right after ko files are generated during the
kernel's building stage.

However, there's another script strip-kmod.sh that strips ko files
before packing them into ipk files.

At present I have to turn a kernel config CONFIG_PROFILING to keep
these debug symbols. And this is not the way I want.

Is it still necessary to keep this patch?

I've found two commits of this patch file:
The first commit:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic/patches-3.3/202-reduce_module_size.patch?rev=30657
Add CONFIG_PROFILING tuning:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic/patches-3.3/202-reduce_module_size.patch?rev=30964