[LEDE-DEV] kernel 4.9 migration for next release

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Mon Oct 2 12:18:28 PDT 2017

For the next major LEDE release after 17.01 all targets should be on
kernel 4.9, otherwise they will most likely not be included in the release.

The following targets are on kernel 4.9 and are fine:
* apm821xx
* arc770
* archs38
* armvirt
* ath25
* bcm53xx
* brcm2708
* cns3xxx
* imx6
* ipq806x
* kirkwood
* lantiq
* mediatek
* mpc85xx
* mvebu
* mxs
* octeon
* pistachio
* ramips
* rb532
* sunxi
* x86

The following targets are on kernel 4.4 and need a upgrade to kernel 4.9
to be included:
* ar71xx
	This needs some work as upstream migrated to device tree.
* at91
* brcm47xx
	4.9 patches available
	Some devices have problems with "big" kernel images
	@Rafał: did you explain this in some mail in detail were you saw
	these problems, I would like to investigate this.
* brcm63xx
* gemini
* ixp4xx
* layerscape
	There is a pull request from NXP with kernel 4.9 on github
* malta
* omap
* orion
* oxnas
* uml
* zynq

The following targets are on kernel 3.18 and also need an upgrade to
kernel 4.9 to be included, they were not even included in LEDE 17.01:
* adm5120
* adm8668
* ar7
	kernel 4.1 patches are there ;-)
* au1000
* mcs814x
* ppc40x
* ppc44x
* xburst

This target is on kernel 4.1 (WTF):
* omap24xx

It would be nice if we would get patches for these targets which update
them to kernel version 4.9.

I used this to find the kernel versions:
find target/linux/ -name Makefile |xargs fgrep 4.9 |sort

Hauke