[LEDE-DEV] LEDE version numbers?

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Tue Nov 7 06:25:43 PST 2017

On 11/06/2017 11:44 PM, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> r# is the number of commits since the "reboot" tag. If your local branch
> (e.g. "master") has a upstream branch (e.g. "origin/master"), it will use
> number and commit ID of the last common commit of both branches, and add
> the number of local commits with a + (e.g. "r4601+95-1ab227d688" - the last
> common commit is 1ab227d688, 4601 after "reboot", and there are 95 local
> commits that aren't upstream).

Thanks Matthias, that helps a lot.  I also found some help with making sense of the git lingo, for anyone that has not already played with this:

Visualizing Git Concepts with D3
https://onlywei.github.io/explain-git-with-d3/

It's an interactive visual learning aid.

> Basically, we tried to mimic the "revision
> ID" SVN provided for the old OpenWrt trunk, adding some extra information
> provided by git.

Ha!  So there *was* an element of the OpenWrt revision numbering!

I'm tempted to ask if there is not some value, then, in a LEDE revision numbering that would look like "lede-17.01.r4601"?  Would that not be a precise, and monotonic, version declaration, no matter whether it was an "official" release, or a nightly, or even some random snapshot?

Hmm - and then, isn't a designation of the form "lede r5217" completely unambiguous, other than not providing a branch name, to say, for instance, that it is, or is not, an "official release"?

So then, LEDE does not run parallel development branches in the main git repository, and simply designates certain development snapshots as "official releases"?