[LEDE-DEV] LEDE version numbers?

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Mon Nov 6 07:49:37 PST 2017

On the topic of version numbers of the form "LEDE r5217-098afa1e1b" about which I am clueless, there is some discussion about the challenge of relating git hash numbers and "release" version numbers:

Point releases for the GNU C Library
October 16, 2017
https://lwn.net/Articles/736429/#Comments

and then:

[RFE] Add minimal universal release management capabilities to GIT
https://public-inbox.org/git/1290947539.4254.1508496039812.JavaMail.zimbra@laposte.net/

Still, this is me again ranting about a problem which has no simple one solution.  Food for thought...

At one extreme, the linux kernel development uses a manual process to create formal development releases from a git repository.  On the other extreme, the GNU C Library (glibc) project generally refuses to provide development releases, or even bug fix releases, between its official releases.  Parenthetically, I notice that those two projects were perhaps the antithetical archetypes for "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" development models.  Even though both projects use git now, they use it differently.

LEDE is even more difficult, because it is not just one "package", but a construction of many packages.