[LEDE-DEV] Need fix / advice / idea

Sergey Ryazanov ryazanov.s.a at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 16:06:12 PST 2017

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Denis Periša <darkman.hr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have situation where one of my devices (rb435g) has lot of bad
> sectors on (NAND) kernel partition.

Just curious, this bad sectors appeared during regular device
operation or just after sysupgrade?

I am asking because it could be "false positive" bad sectors. Couple
of weeks ago I flash one rb411 with wrong image. I used image for
flash chips with 512-bytes pages, while the board was equipped with
flash chip with 2048-bytes pages. And after reboot kernel printed a
lot of "bad sector" messages. Actually sectors was fine, but using of
the wrong firmware image lead to corruption of OOB data of several
pages.

I solved this issue by flashing back the vendor's firmware with help
of netinstall, this action had recover flash OOB. Then I flash the
device again, but now with the correct LEDE image and it works! Looks
like that the similar results could be reached with _nandwrite_
utility, but I did not try it.

--
Sergey