[LEDE-DEV] ath79 - pending tasks

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Wed Mar 1 07:44:30 PST 2017

Hi Alban,

thanks for the reply

> Having the ethernet working would be nice. Do you just target LEDE or
> are you trying to get it in a state that would be acceptable for
> mainline?

first of i want to make it work inside LEDE but i do want to reduce our
technical debt this year so its a realistic option to send it upstream.
once it works with a hack i will draft a proper OF binding and fwd it to
get review comments before implementing it.

>> * adding a pinctrl driver
>> * adding a usb phy driver
>
> The USB phy driver is already done:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg1332371.html
>
> That hasn't been merged for 4.11, we have to hope it make it in 4.12.

awesome, i just merged it to my test tree. i'll start working on the
pinctrl tomorrow in that case.

>> What other tasks do you know of and does any prior work exist for the 2
>> previously mentioned tasks that i could use ?
>
> Check my github tree: https://github.com/AlbanBedel/linux/commits/ath79
>
> There is some basic support for the TL-WR-1043ND V2 (irqchip driver for
> the QCA955X EXT interrupt controller + DT) and for the ath9k.

great !

> That is not yet in my github tree, but I'm currently working on adding
> nvmem support to load the eeprom data for the ath9k. With this and a few
> other details the ath9k should be fully usable with DT. I hope to be
> able to submit this soon enough that it could potentially be merged in
> 4.12.

please CC me on the mails so i am up to date and can adopt the patches
as early as possible

> Otherwise we would need a few more irqchip drivers, and probably some
> clk driver for the clocks used by the ethernet block. Finally there is
> the PCI, but I don't really know what to do with this as I don't have
> any hardware using it. Is there any hardware, beside the ref boards,
> known to use it?

there are boards using PCI/e. i will have a closer look at PCI and see
if it is also a DW variant.

could you give a more detailed list of what clk and irq drivers are
missing ? i could help write the code, i am just scared to duplicate
some of your work.

apart from that, Thanks for sending this all upstream, i will be sending
a few minor patches that i created the last days in the coming days.

	John