[LEDE-DEV] LEDE-17.01 Final Release Notes available

Dave Täht dave at taht.net
Mon Jan 30 07:00:37 PST 2017

On 1/29/17 7:36 AM, Jaap Buurman wrote:
> One more question if you don't mind :) With the "mac80211 debloated
> intermediate queues" do you also mean fq_codel (phase 2), or just
> phase 1?
> Also, has cake ever been tried instead of fq_codel to try and debloat wifi?

We used various simluations of wifi in cake, as one way to verify the
performance of the codel algorithm. Simple example would be, firing up a
test, and have a script...

sleep 10;
tc qdisc change dev whatever cake bandwidth 10mbit
sleep 1;
tc qdisc change dev whatever cake bandwidth 20mbit
sleep 1;
tc qdisc change dev whatever cake bandwidth 40mbit
sleep 1;
tc qdisc change dev whatever cake bandwidth 6mbit

I fear, after getting some major testing done in the past week now that
things are stabler, that this sort of emulation was insufficient to
emulate the real behaviors of wifi in a noisy environment. (yes, we did
do tons of live testing, too)

I am, admittedly, now testing with 51 APs within listening distance, at
the moment, which is far, far, far worse than the lab ever was. Some of
the things we deferred for further research were ratcheting down on
retries, and rate limiting multicast. It still seems, overall, better,
(I haven't had a single crash or error in the log in 3 days of testing a
build done friday on the archer)

It's my hope we can get more people pounding things with flent's
rtt_fair* tests to see how "right" the ATF is, and taking packet
captures (aircaps) so we can see what else can be improved. I'm about to
go try upping the multicast rate and/or re-enabling the igmp and
multicast-unicast code....