[LEDE-DEV] LEDE-17.01 Final Release Notes available

Weedy weedy2887 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:33:24 PST 2017

On 28 January 2017 at 15:56, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jaap,
>
>> On Jan 28, 2017, at 6:36 AM, Jaap Buurman <jaapbuurman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also about the following: "Improvements to the WiFi stack eliminating
>> bufferbloat on ath9k (and some ath10k) chipsets"
>>
>> Is this about the Airtime Fairness Patch? AFAIK this is only for ath9k
>> and not for ath10k? Or am I mixing things up here?
>
> I am not sure. I was hoping someone who has been following this more closely would weigh in.

As far as I know the make-wifi-fast work was done in stages. Something like:
Phase 1: Reducing buffering all over the stack/drivers. Pretty sure
atk10k got some of this
Phase 2: Replace most/all txqueue stuff with fq_codel inside the
driver. I know Toke made patches for ath10k, I don't know if upstream
accepted them
Phase 3: Air time fairness stuff. Only for ath9k, and I don't know if
ath10k can ever get this since the chip firmware is basically a full
operating system and it does whatever it wants too.

NB: I'm just a user, not a dev. But I like WiFi things and try to keep informed.