[LEDE-DEV] Difference between AutoLoad vs. AutoProbe for kernel modules?

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Mon Jan 9 05:25:29 PST 2017

Hi,

While investigating an issue with module loading order¹, I discovered that
some kernel packages use AutoProbe, like this:

    AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoProbe,xt_hashlimit)

while some kernel packages use the AutoLoad helper I was used to, with a
priority:

    AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoLoad,28,raid0)

Judging from this commit² and `include/kernel.mk`, it seems the only
difference is that AutoProbe does not include a priority.

Is the loading order determined automatically for AutoProbe?  If so, where
is the magic, and why is AutoLoad still needed in some cases?

Thanks,
Baptiste

¹ https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/3790
² https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commitdiff;h=022cadd64e8a24818d15b22bc28f3460e0b2519c