[LEDE-DEV] per-device rootfs generated on buildbots

Mathias Kresin dev at kresin.me
Mon Jan 9 00:45:13 PST 2017

08.01.2017 15:35, Daniel Golle:
> Hi!
>
> While testing the current snapshot builds I realized that for some
> reason the additional default packages to be included for each board
> aren't selected, ie. DEVICE_PACKAGES seems to be ignored in snapshot
> builds.
> Ie. eventhough kmod-rtc-ds1307 is set in DEVICE_PACKAGES for the akitio
> board (oxnas), the package doesn't end up in the generated rootfs and
> initramfs image for that device. Looking at config.seed, everything
> looks fine:
> CONFIG_TARGET_MULTI_PROFILE=y
> CONFIG_TARGET_ALL_PROFILES=y
> CONFIG_TARGET_PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS=y
>
> Any idea? Does that happen on purpose? Is it a bug or a feature?
>
> Cheers
>
> Daniel

Hey Daniel,

I'm not sure if you are talking about a specific image or all build
akitio images.

For initramfs images only the DEFAULT_PACKAGES are included if
TARGET_PER_DEVICE_ROOTFS is set. I hit this limitation/bug already and
according to felix it isn't easily fixable. I can not remember all the
details but his recommendation was to move essential packages to
DEFAULT_PACKAGES.

In my case the switch driver was added via DEVICE_PACKAGES, finally
missing in the initramfs and the network did not worked. Since the
initramfs image in question is only required for the first install, it
was enough to move the switch driver to the DEFAULT_PACKAGES. All the
other missing (device) packages are not relevant for the first install
in my case.

Mathias