[LEDE-DEV] [wiki]Table of packages is officially live!

Alberto Bursi alberto.bursi at outlook.it
Sat Feb 25 00:07:58 PST 2017

On 02/23/2017 10:48 PM, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 06:52:15PM +0000, Alberto Bursi wrote:
>> The wiki feature showing what packages are in LEDE (and some information
>> about them) is now complete! Hooray! :)
>>
>> https://lede-project.org/packages/start
>
> Great, thanks Alberto!
>
> Here are a few questions and comments:
>
> - what is the difference between /packages/$pkg and /packages/pkgdata/$pkg?
>   e.g. https://lede-project.org/packages/tinc vs. https://lede-project.org/packages/pkgdata/tinc
>   It seems that the first one is supposed to be created manually?

The first one is the page where people should add documentation about
that package, how to use it, gotchas, and so on. That page can (should)
be linked to user guide page too.
The creation of that page is guided by a template, I still need to start
migrating things from OWRT wiki into this new system to see if the
template is good enough, but maybe I can just advertise this feature
already.

> - what would you think of moving the "category" column more to the right
>   in the tables, for instance after "source code"?  This way, the first
>   two columns are "name" and "version", which are for me the most important
>   information.

Category is useful for filters, the idea was that if you don't know the
package names you will try with categories (helped by the cloud view
above the table that list such categories).

This also relies on packages not sitting in major categories like for
example there is like a few hundreds of assorted stuff in "utilities" or
"network", but this has to be fixed in LEDE or package feed source.

I started doing that before I made the table of packages, now that I
have a better view of the situation I can continue
https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/3371

> - the description field is often quite large (look for instance at the
>   "network---vpn" category), so the table looks ugly.  I'm not sure how to
>   fix this though, maybe show just the beginning of the text, and show the
>   rest in a popup when hovering/clicking on the field?

Yeah, consider that the table is generated dynamically by a wiki plugin
that has some funky limitations so that may not be possible.
Although I agree that descriptions aren't cool in the current table.

> - still with the description: it seems that line breaks are removed.  On
>   the other hand, word-wrapped text is ugly in HTML.  What do you think of
>   removing single line breaks, but treating two consecutive line breaks as

I don't think I can add html code in the description, and the table
plugin wants all the cell content as a single line (hence no line
breaks), also the space allocated to that field won't change much and
thus we still get a ton of word-wrapping.

I need to test ways to enlarge the space in there, and think I'll have
to enable wiki syntax parsing to get decent descriptions. I hope the
performance impact isn't too bad.

> - your script does not seem to handle multiple maintainers? (e.g. net/wireguard)

Yes, correct. I thought one maintainer was enough.
Should be easy to fix.

> - just a cosmetic note: why not use "/" instead of "---" to separate
>   between category and submenu?

Due to the fact that these names are used also as links in the datacloud
view (above the table) and in the indexes, I cannot use slashes, nor
spaces (spaces get replaced by "_" in the link), but I'm not that
satisfied by the "---" either.

> Thanks again, other than these minor points it's a great tool :)
>
> Baptiste

Glad you like it. :)

-Alberto