[LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?

Dennis Schneck dennisschneck at web.de
Wed Feb 22 09:37:04 PST 2017

Thanks, the image work on my  TP-Link TL-WA854RE v1

is it possible that you contact the lede project to integrade you modifcations
that i included in the next version ?

thanks

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2017 um 01:43 Uhr
Von: Ufo <ufo at rund.freifunk.net>
An: Lede-dev at lists.infradead.org
Betreff: Re: [LEDE-DEV] Is there a Image for TP-Link TL-WA854RE (WiFi Range Extender) ?

Am 18.02.17 um 19:40 schrieb Daniel Golle:
> As a hack or temporary work-around, this is easy to achieve though.

854v1:
http://gadow.freifunk.net:8004/srv2/lede/tplink854/lede-wa854re-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

854v2:
http://gadow.freifunk.net:8004/srv2/lede/tplink854/lede-wa854re-v2-squashfs-factory.bin[http://gadow.freifunk.net:8004/srv2/lede/tplink854/lede-wa854re-v2-squashfs-factory.bin][http://gadow.freifunk.net:8004/srv2/lede/tplink854/lede-wa854re-v2-squashfs-factory.bin[http://gadow.freifunk.net:8004/srv2/lede/tplink854/lede-wa854re-v2-squashfs-factory.bin]]

Am 18.02.17 um 19:40 schrieb Daniel Golle:
> Due to the lack of an Ethernet port the device is currently very hard
> to support properly.

but its not too hard for our cases: freifunk communities..
you literally know that we are using the imagebuilder (via webui
"meshkit") for building pre-configured (blame ipv4) openwrt/lede images
for our devices. so devices are being flashed, and coming up with
enabled free wifi and mesh-protocols (olsr + 2x batman-adv).
see my 854v1 firmware version, its done with that!

btw: the "libremesh" firmware also comes up with that (even there is not
so much ipv4 this firmware is ipv6-autoconfig-style, so you can flash
many devices with same firmware instantly). also for freifunk "gluon"
firmware there is a "skip config"-mode, same behaviour..

so, i think there is no need for major changes for these ethernet-less
devices. openwrt/lede have to support these devices, such as other devices.
users and usergroups may now take care of the ethernet-less
restrictions. some of them are well-prepared and have to take really no
adjustments :-)

Alberto wrote:
>With the settings written by that script you only need to enable the
>wifi and everything will work.

yes, so i did it for my mentioned 854v2 firmware. i was using piotr's
newest (thanks for 850v2!) stuff, modifying the hardware-ids
see
https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...FreifunkUFO:master[https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...FreifunkUFO:master][https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...FreifunkUFO:master[https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...FreifunkUFO:master]]

mathias committed:
> wifi disabled by default but you can enable it with the wps button.
that sounds nice!

Piotr wrote:
> I don't think there is any
> good/secure enough approach which everybody would
> agree to implement by default in LEDE

at least we could make a configuration for that:
on "make menuconfig" i found "preconfigure image" to change at least
IPv4 adress. there could be a flag "enable wifi". (some minutes
programming later there also could be settings for SSID and wpa2 key).
so enabling wifi would be easier for all people who are compiling the
firmware ( and who dont want to use the imagebuilder :-o )

Piotr wrote:
>Wi-Fi inside failsafe mode would be the only way.

above 854 firmwares are preconfigured with enabled wifi. reset-button
works. so if network contact is lost due to new, wrong network settings
you may press reset and will get that preconfigured, wifi-enabled device
as before :-)

for standard new-device-support:

n3ph and me are struggling, if we should devide support for v1 and v2
version of tplink-854 and who could commit that properly.
at the moment we have these changes for development, but never tested
yet: ethernet is disabled (why only for v2?), wifi is enabled (has to be
deleted further)
https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...freifunk-leipzig:master[https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...freifunk-leipzig:master][https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...freifunk-leipzig:master[https://github.com/lede-project/source/compare/master...freifunk-leipzig:master]]

for the future: as you might read at openwrt wiki or tplink site: 850
will appear as v3 or v4 eventually.. and there is a nice-looking new
device tplink-855.
---
Freifunk Leipzig http://leipzig.freifunk.net[http://leipzig.freifunk.net][http://leipzig.freifunk.net[http://leipzig.freifunk.net]]