[LEDE-DEV] massive speed-loss using 'make defconfig'

Bastian Bittorf bb at npl.de
Thu Feb 9 08:52:04 PST 2017

* Bastian Bittorf <bb at npl.de> [09.02.2017 17:45]:
> is 'make menuconfig' also using 'package-metadata.pl'?
>
> I ask, because start 'menuconfig' and selecting/unselecting
> symbols with the GUI is very fast, but the same operation - is'nt it?

i will answer the question myself: it is not.
defconfig must be called after working with 'menuconfig'.

maybe you have an idea, how we can speedup our workflow:

echo  >.config 'CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx=y'
echo >>.config 'CONFIG_TARGET_ar71xx_generic=y'
make defconfig

(apply some symbols)
make defconfig

[...]

(apply some symbols)
make defconfig

This is called up to 30 times till our '.config' is ready.

Question: is it *safe* to call 'defconfig' only at there very end?

bye, bastian