[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] MT7620A WiFi issue - with a twist!

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sat Feb 4 10:19:07 PST 2017

Hi Juergen,

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 08:32:36AM +0100, Juergen Kimmel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm in the same boat struggeling with  mt7620a WiFi performance,
> namely with the device called   ZBT APE522ii.
> Stock firmware based on Openwrt (has no version number) has no issues
> concerning wifi performance.

That's because ZBT ships their devices with a firmware containing
Mediatek/Ralink's proprietary driver as well as the needed proprietary
user-space tools. However, this driver only supports either (multi-SSID)
AP-mode or Station-mode, but not both at the same time.

> Because I`m focussing on a mesh solution,  I tested Openwrt/Lede based
> qMp (qmp.cat) but having the same issues described here.

That's not surprising, unfortunately.

> IMHO there must be different drivers to be used. My skills are not at
> all  sufficient to clear where the difference could be.

The main problem here is that rt2860_ap driver (which was at least
partially also published under GPLv2 terms, you can find it on github)
cannot do AdHoc mode which is needed for mesh stuff.

> So help is very much appreciated.

I'll be working on sorting things out for MT7620 once the kickstarter
project I created for that purpose reaches its goal.

Cheers

Daniel