[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] MT7620A WiFi issue - with a twist!

Juergen Kimmel juergenkimmel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:32:36 PST 2017

Hello everyone,
I'm in the same boat struggeling with  mt7620a WiFi performance,
namely with the device called   ZBT APE522ii.
Stock firmware based on Openwrt (has no version number) has no issues
concerning wifi performance.

Because I`m focussing on a mesh solution,  I tested Openwrt/Lede based
qMp (qmp.cat) but having the same issues described here.
IMHO there must be different drivers to be used. My skills are not at
all  sufficient to clear where the difference could be.
So help is very much appreciated.

> Hello everyone,
> I'm in the same boat struggeling with  mt7620a WiFi performance, namely with
> the device called
>  ZBT APE522ii.
> Stock firmware based on Openwrt (no version number) has no issues concerning
> wifi performance.
>
> Because I`m focussing on a mesh solution,  I tested Openwrt/Lede based qMp
> (qmp.cat) but having the same issues described here.
> IMHO there must be different drivers used. My skills are not at all
> sufficient to clear where the difference could be.
> So help is very much appreciated.
>

> Weedy <weedy2887 at gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 4. Feb. 2017 01:51:
>>
>> On 1 February 2017 at 15:29, Jamie Stuart <jamie at onebillion.org> wrote:
>> > Hello LEDE / OpenWRT devs,
>> >
>> > I am requesting your help. First a little background…
>> > This a known issue with the chipset and seems to have been round for
>> > years.
>> > We are currently building on LEDE trunk and still the issue persists.
>> >
>> > We are not driver developers, so my question is whether anyone with
>> > knowledge can help and provide a proper fix for this issue?
>>

>> You will probably have the most luck posting a bounty on the linux
>> wifi mailing list.
>>
>> Your root problem is picking a platform that basically uses a client
>> mode tested driver in AP mode and then hanging a million clients off
>> of it. I'm honestly surprised it didn't fall over sooner.
>>
>> May I suggest when it comes time to refresh the hardware you guys pick
>> something with NGFF or mini-pcie slots for ALL radios.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Jürgen Kimmel