[LEDE-DEV] Is there a location for utility scripts?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Feb 2 05:54:59 PST 2017

On 02/01/2017 08:44 PM, Rich Brown wrote:

>> On Feb 1, 2017, at 12:25 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/01/2017 09:13 AM, Rich Brown wrote:
>>> A multi-part question:
>>>
>>> 1) Does the LEDE community have any favorite scripts that might be included in the basic LEDE distribution?
>>>
>>> For example, I wrote a "getstats.sh" script (https://github.com/richb-hanover/OpenWrtScripts/blob/master/getstats.sh) that collects a consistent set of information to be included in trouble reports. I did this to avoid multiple back-and-forths with people reporting a problem, asking for this info, then that info, then still more...
>>>
>>> Would this script be useful to have as a "standard tool" in LEDE? (If the script is pre-installed, then it's simple to ask the person to include that information in a bug report.)
>>>
>>> 2) Are there other similar scripts that would make your life easier?
>>>
>>> 3) If so, where should such scripts live?
>>
>> I started putting some debug logic in package/utils/ct-bugcheck,
>> but it is mostly ath10k specific at this point.  Would be nice if
>> someone wanted to improve it for more general use...
>
> I think I'm asking a somewhat different question:
>
> a) Whether the getstats.sh script would be useful (see FS #455 and #457 to see it used in bug reports)
> b) If so, does it make sense to bundle it into the LEDE initial file system so that it's available at the moment people have a problem (instead of asking them to find it, copy it to their LEDE system, then run it...)

I think you would have to make a new LEDE package to allow users to choose your script
to be included at compile time so that it is available on the FS.

Or possibly, it is worth extending ct-bugcheck to have your tool in it and make
ct-bugcheck a more general bug-reporting package.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>