[LEDE-DEV] Install custom LEDE build

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.l-h at gmx.de
Sun Apr 16 23:25:57 PDT 2017

Hi

On 2017-04-17, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I am trying to move from OpenWrt to LEDE. As a package maintainer, I often
> build custom OpenWrt images, and I would like to do the same using
> LEDE. However, I am having trouble installing what I build on a Mikrotik
> RouterBoard 493G.
>
> First, it appears the RouterBoard expects the kernel to exist within a
> yaffs filesystem. At least /dev/mtdblock5 (kernel) bears a yaffs by
> default. It does not appear LEDE supports yaffs, so I presently boot
> OpenWrt's openwrt-ar71xx-nand-vmlinux-initramfs.elf to install my kernel.

Check https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=yaffs
for a few pointers. While I have no experience with the devices in
question, the gist seems to be that those devices have been converted
to UBI instead of the non-mainline yaffs2 (by using a container format
that looks similar enough to yaffs2 to be accepted by the bootloader
while actually being UBI based), this apparently allowed to drop support
for yaffs2 without sacrificing support for these devices.

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann