[LEDE-DEV] Install custom LEDE build

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Sun Apr 16 23:03:44 PDT 2017

I am trying to move from OpenWrt to LEDE. As a package maintainer, I often
build custom OpenWrt images, and I would like to do the same using
LEDE. However, I am having trouble installing what I build on a Mikrotik
RouterBoard 493G.

First, it appears the RouterBoard expects the kernel to exist within a
yaffs filesystem. At least /dev/mtdblock5 (kernel) bears a yaffs by
default. It does not appear LEDE supports yaffs, so I presently boot
OpenWrt's openwrt-ar71xx-nand-vmlinux-initramfs.elf to install my kernel.

Second, I am having trouble figuring out the right way to install the
root filesystem. The best I have been able to figure out is:

	1. Build a squashfs image.

	2. Create ubi.conf:

	[root_volume]
	mode=ubi
	image=lede-ar71xx-mikrotik-root.squashfs
	vol_id=0
	vol_name=rootfs
	vol_size=50MiB

	3. Run "ubinize -vv -o root.img -m 2048 -p 128KiB -s 2048 ubi.conf".

	4. Run "ubiformat /dev/mtd6 -f root.img".

This sees to work. However, with OpenWrt I could simply mount
/dev/mtdblock6 and extract openwrt-ar71xx-mikrotik-Ath5k-rootfs.tar.gz
into the disk. This would result in a r/w yaffs rather than a read-only
squashfs. The RouterBoard 493G has plenty of flash, so a writable root
filesystem is both feasible and convenient (writes are very rare).

Is there an easier way to do this?

--
Mike

:wq