[LEDE-DEV] i386_geode packages not used

Nick Lowe nick.lowe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 02:47:51 PDT 2017

Hi,

Do we even need a specific build for Geode?

I would consider making the generic x86 build target i686 with
-march=i686 and -mtune=i686 with the already fixed version of binutils
(GAS) that LEDE uses, which does not make bad assumption over the
presence of the NOPL instruction.

(There was a historical bug in binutils/GAS where the non-i686 NOPL
instruction would be emitted for i686 but this has long been
resolved.)

National Semi's GXm, GXLV and GX1 do not support CMOV or NOPL. (These
would not work with a generic build targeted to i686.) Due to their
age, I doubt that these are used and a legacy build for i386 would
suffice.

All Geodes since and including National Semi's GX2 support CMOV but
not NOPL. (Introduced in 2002. These would work with a generic build
targeted to i686.)

The AMD branded Geodes (GX and LX) support CMOV but not NOPL. (These
would work with a generic build targeted to i686 with a generic build
targeted to i686.)

Cheers,

Nick