[LEDE-DEV] A Wiki for LEDE Documentation

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:50:34 PDT 2016

I am glad to see such strong support for a wiki. A wiki gives power to interested people to add information/correct entries and make the LEDE project look better.

There will always be problems associated with a wiki. Those of us who watched the OpenWrt wiki have seen them all. But a small group of designated community managers (gardeners) can keep those problems from becoming crises.

And even if it isn't as easy as we hope, we still need to set up a wiki.

I recommend we use Dokuwiki as the primary means of maintaining the LEDE documentation. It's is a powerful and mature wiki system that provides version control. Most LEDE participants are familiar with it. If an OpenWrt page needs to be updated for LEDE, it's an easy copy/paste to get the basic information in place. We have the source data from OpenWrt's wiki, and could likely have a fully-functioning site quickly. And finally, it would be a shame to lose the data of the OpenWrt Table of Hardware (ToH) that houses so much info about the devices,

To go further, I support switching the main web presence for LEDE (www.lede-project.org) over to Dokuwiki. There's no reason to maintain two documentation systems. If we decide to reserve edit permission for top-level pages to certain admins, we can leave the rest of the pages open to any logged-in member.

Thanks for listening.

Rich Brown

PS To those who advocate choosing a different wiki system, please include in your proposal an estimate of what would be involved in populating it with good information about LEDE, and who will be doing that work.