[LEDE-DEV] Documentation for router support means the famous Table of Hardware

Jan-Tarek Butt tarek at ring0.de
Wed Sep 7 11:43:10 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am Tarek.
ndb and I had discuss about the hardware support documentation for LEDE.
So I send these proposal to create a asciidoc documentation nearly
similar to the OpenWRT table of hardware. The idea is to create a Main
table were users can fast and easily search for devices. Each device
should also have an extra device specific site were even more technical
information should be found (same as ToH).

One big problem in the OpenWRT wiki is, so nbd had told it to me, that
many device specific sites were just copied from other ones and were not
good rewritten so some of these site had wrong information about the
devices. I think the main problem of this above case is that any one can
edit and fill information inside the wiki without reviewing from a
another person. This problem should be fix because in asciidoc,
developers and persons who want write documentation now have send
patches that had be reviewed from a person that has access to the git
repository.

The device list inside the Main table can maybe auto generated out of
the source and also the download images urls inside the device specific
site can be auto generated. I build those auto generated links also with
checksums for ouer Freifunk Nordwest specific download site [0].
But that is an details discussion if this proposal had accepted.

I think thous device table inside the documentation is very important
for the usability of the LEDE project and should be realise as sone as
possible.

If anyone have some better ideas for documenting device specific
informations pls write it here. Also some feature ideas or potential
problems will be very helpful.

cheers
Tarek

[0] https://wiki.nordwest.freifunk.net/Router/Hardware