[LEDE-DEV] [RFC 0/1] x86: Add support for the PC Engines APU2 Board

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 07:00:30 PDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 4:37 AM, STR . <strykar at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Everything important in CeroWrt long ago made it upstream - the apu2 (which, btw, I have been using as my main test platform for the make-wifi-fast work) has BQL on the intel network drivers
> Interesting, it didn't seem like it's implemented when I test as suggested by https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Tests_for_Bufferbloat/
> See http://imgur.com/a/U36zU It spikes when the download test starts, it stops peaking little over halfway through the download test, unless that indicates it is indeed working and I'm misreading the results?

BQL + fq_codel kills bufferbloat at line rate (10,100,1000mbit) on
ethernet cards. It also works if you have hardware flow control on the
the ethernet.

It can't do anything on downloads.

If your connection is not at line rate  or the download is
overbuffered (looks like 20Mbit here), you need a soft shaper like the
ones in sqm-scripts (htb + fq_codel or cake) set 5-15% below the
observed rate to win.

>> (http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/real_results/ more detail here: https://blog.tohojo.dk/2016/06/fixing-the-wifi-performance-anomaly-on-ath9k.html).
> Excellent information, thank you! Especially as most APU2 owners would run ath9k with some using ath10k.

Do you know of someone making a bigger better case for it? I'd like
one with 6 antenna slots
for just that reason - and better heat management.

>> dnsmasq-dnssec is an optional package in lede as are the sqm-scripts, luci-app-sqm, and the bcp38 support.
> I've fallen behind the curve (thanks pfsense), I wasn't aware of the bcp38 RFC. Cheers!

I'd rather like to see the bcp38 stuff a default, but although we made
the code work right for
one layer of nat, too many people have more than that. :(

>>What never made it to openwrt from cerowrt was:
>
>>A) the controversial "rename the devices to reflect the security model" portion of the firewall code. That code allowed for never having to reload the firewall as it used a pattern match on the device name to dynamically add devices to a secure or guest zone.

> I didn't fancy this concept when I read it myself.

It saved tons of cpu with lots of interfaces. And what systemd decided
to do with device naming was worse. That said, I gave up on it,
lacking a good means to create a se00.2 and ge00.3 out of the same
interface.

>> I look forward to migrating my apu2s to lede soon!
> All the APU2 owners look forward to it :)

Well, I confess it's been very good using ubuntu, also, just cheaper
and more reliable to
not run something as big as that. Been a great testbed platform (needs
more antennas. :) so far, and I'll start booting one of them into lede
soon...

... after we finish up the airtime fairness code and rip out some more
wifi latencies.

Dave Täht
http://blog.cerowrt.org