[LEDE-DEV] How do you develop (compile) LEDE efficiently?

Tino Reichardt list-lede at mcmilk.de
Mon Nov 7 09:49:04 PST 2016

* Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So far I was always using my notebook for the development. My
> requirements were Intel i7 quad core + AMD GPU. I was using some
> Samsung but it's GPU has died and I can't replace it (stupid
> 216-0811000 chipset).
>
> I'm looking for a new notebook, but I can't find anything with i7 quad
> core + AMD GPU. I may need to buy something with i7-6500U or i7-7500U
> which may be too slow for compiling LEDE.

I like the 2 Years old "used" laptops, selled by lapstore... maybe this
one would fit your needs, for "small" money:
http://www.lapstore.de/a.php/shop/lapstore/lang/x/a/20124/kw/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W530-2447-GW3-2463-A24

Intel Core i7-3720QM (4x 2,6 GHz / 8 MB Cache / 45W TDP)
16GB RAM (4x 4GB, max possible is 32GB)
15,6" TFT LED Display with ThinkLight for working in the dark ;)
1920 x 1080 Pixel (FHD)
1x 180GB SSD in it (space for 2x 2,5" HDD)
8xDVD+/-RW Dual Double Layer
Intel HD4000 CPU graphics, for progging
NVIDIA Quadro K1000M (2048 MB), for other things (linux driver works very well)
(incl. Windows 7 Prof. license)
= 750€

> How do you develop LEDE? Do you work on some powerful machine, or do
> you compile it remotely somehow? If you do it remotely, do you mount
> remote filesystem? I need a very good access to the build_dir for my
> needs.

I am using an Dell Latitude with i7-3632QM (4C/8T), make -j6 V=s works
fine... and the Samsung SSD with 1TB is fast + big... backup is done
every X weeks to a local Server via rsync.

--
Best regards, TR