[LEDE-DEV] How do you develop (compile) LEDE efficiently?

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 02:16:28 PST 2016

On 7 November 2016 at 04:24, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So far I was always using my notebook for the development. My
> requirements were Intel i7 quad core + AMD GPU. I was using some
> Samsung but it's GPU has died and I can't replace it (stupid
> 216-0811000 chipset).
>
> I'm looking for a new notebook, but I can't find anything with i7 quad
> core + AMD GPU. I may need to buy something with i7-6500U or i7-7500U
> which may be too slow for compiling LEDE.
>
> How do you develop LEDE? Do you work on some powerful machine, or do
> you compile it remotely somehow? If you do it remotely, do you mount
> remote filesystem? I need a very good access to the build_dir for my
> needs.

Most of my development work happens on remote kvm machines with ssh
and tmux.  The best thing about this is that there is no heat and
noise from fans spining mad.

Since most changes are device agnostic, I use qemu vm to do run-test
[1].  It's quite handy and I do not often need to touch actual
hardware these days...

I use sshfs to transfer files to local machines, only occasionally
when the work has to be done on real devices.  I prefer sshfs for the
same reason as for pppossh: it's already there and no extra work to
configure each remote host.

 [1] https://gist.github.com/yousong/8d94c6823a2a6f0f79fd

                yousong