[LEDE-DEV] How to start?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu May 19 13:51:39 PDT 2016

On Thu, 19 May 2016, Gabriel F.C. Mazzocato wrote:

>> actually, make menuconfig and altering the .config file is the way. This
>> should pull in all the appropriate dependencies. If you edit the .config
>> files manually, you need to check that all the dependencies are good
>> yourself.
>>

> The process I followed was wget the package and put it in the
> package/iptables path. There I altered the makefile to change the
> version, hash and source.
> I have to get rid of all the patches, perhaps because they are already
> there (some appears not to). Then I confirm the changes in the
> makemenu config and call make package/iptables/compile. It breaks with
> an error about extensions, even using -J1 V=s (I'll get more details
> on that). And the actual modules, I couldn't cross compile them from
> source, since I got lost with autoreconf and KConfig. I'm kinda new to
> this. Learning on the go.

Is this something that's not already packaged for LEDE/OpenWRT?

It's far more complex to add something new than to just select different options
that are already configured.

>> using an external drive is a last resort for when you can't fit everything
>> into the flash in your device (or you are using an external device that is
>> faster than the flash)
>>

> I thought about that yesterday. I'm using a 8Gb flash drive. But even
> with an SSD it would be cut because of the 2.0 interface. I have and
> TL-WDR4300.
> What is the maximim size of image for a sysupgrade? About 6~7Mb ? My
> router has 8Mb.

that depends on the bootloader. but for a firmware version that's that close to
the total flash size you may need to use a different install method.

I commonly use the wndr3800 with 16M flash and my images have been up to 15M,
but I always flash them via tftp at boot time, not from within a running system.

David Lang