[LEDE-DEV] Proposal to sign all commits

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Fri May 6 08:37:06 PDT 2016

Hi,

I just signed up here.

On 05/06/2016 05:03 PM, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I am concerned that git signing gives little, if any value, while making
>> it harder to contribute (and making it easier to contribute is one of
>> the *stated* goals of LEDE) and is another example of a tendency toward
>> a particular brand of technical elitism that will kill this project if
>> not nipped in the bud.
>
> I tend to agree here - people specifically ask about being able to
> contribute via Github because it allegedly makes contributions easier.
>
> My experience has shown that a lot of contributors already struggle with
> the concept of sign-off lines. Require them to PGP sign stuff would
> pretty much kill any effort in this direction right away.

Agreed.

I quickly read the thread, I noticed that this proposal was made without
stating clearly its goal.
I propose that any proposal that is made must have a clear stated goal,
and if the proposal is accepted we must assess after a certain period of
time if this proposal was effective or not in achieving the stated goal.

Regarding signing commits with GPG key, it would be nice to recommend it
but making it a requirement sounds like a barrier.

Regarding technical elitism, we experienced the same problem in Ninux
and it almost killed our community: if newcomers are discouraged by high
technical barriers and many of the older elite contributors leave, who
remains to bring the project forward?

Therefore it's important to have a clear and well documented path
towards sending patches and becoming a contributor.
This way we can ensure there are always enough newcomers becoming active
and able to bring the project forward if one of the core members leave
for some reason (and as you may know, this can happen anytime without
warning: a baby is born, a parent dies, burnout, car accident and so on).
It should aim to find a balance between convenience for newcomers/
maintainers and high quality standards.

These are my 2 cents.
Federico