[LEDE-DEV] Octeon (er and erlite) squashfs build size on downloads.lede-project.org

Mike Goodwin mike+lede at mgoodwin.net
Sat Jun 18 08:08:21 PDT 2016

Hi Gents,

Subscribing to the mailing list here because I have a few questions about the
Octeon builds. I'm looking to use LEDE with my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3, and
the only documentation I can find to do so is here:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/edgerouter.lite#installation_wip

The main discrepancy here are the size of the "lede-octeon-erlite-squashfs-
sysupgrade.tar" build and also the -er build ... currently around 7MB.

https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/octeon/generic/

In the instructions from above you can see that the size is supposed to be
around 50.33MB

I noticed this when I was about to `dd` the image to a spare USB I wanted to
test from, and thought it very peculiar that it was so tiny.

I see that the "*-ext4-sysupgrade.tar" is of a more comparable size, but was
hoping to have this working with squashfs instead.

Another thing of note is that the sister..parent (I don't know I don't want to
offend anyone) repository for OpenWRT images is having the same "issue":

https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/octeon/generic/openwrt-15.05-octeon-erlite-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar 6.4MB

What's going on here?

Are the builds broken?

Is only ext4 planned for the future?