[LEDE-DEV] lede integration issues remaining from the detrius of cerowrt

Daniel Curran-Dickinson daniel at daniel.thecshore.com
Mon Jun 13 18:40:55 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-13 at 11:17 +0200, Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> no need to overreact :)  I think parts of the topics are about the

Hope you're referring to Pinney and not me!  I was concerned because
Dave Taht's email and David Lang's post) seemed to me to imply changing the
defaults to suit bigger iron as the default rather than simply making
it a supported option.  I also think that talking about a 5-10 plan as
the basis if making decision of what to include by default in *current* builds
is rather foolish thinking.  Yes planning for the future is important but to
it reminds of a quote from when I was religious: "Don't be so heavenly-minded
you're no earthly good".  Basically here and now needs not to be forgotten in
dreams of future wonders.

There are still enough users of LEDE/OpenWrt who are frustrated by what they see
as excessive bloat that makes it unusable on their existing devices.  I myself
am torn.  I hate obsoleting hardware that I think ought to be perfectly useful
for some things and isn't like keeping an old CRT around vs getting flat screen in
terms of issues like energy efficiency and maybe better, maybe worse when you add
up all the actual physical / environmental costs of getting rid of old vs going with
new.  This is comes down to whether there is a will to make the effort (and it does
take effort, that I will not argue) to keep old hardware going, or whether to only
go for 'new, shiny' and forget about what currently exists.

To a certain extent though, I question the need for something as restricted as OpenWrt
for the new bigger devices anyway; there are elements like netifd that would be good to
see continue, but I'm not sure that most of OpenWrt really makes as much sense when you're
not needing to squeeze maximum use out of very erase block, and that therefore, while it
may be a smaller market/mindshare, that focussing on the the true embedded type scenario,
seems to be more of what LEDE's niche is.

Regards,

Daniel