[LEDE-DEV] ar71xx kernel size starts getting oversized

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:15:43 PDT 2016

On 04/06/2016, Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> wrote:
> Hi Yousong,
>
> the main issue on ar71xx is the high number of mach-*.c files for all
> the boards being included in *all* images. Once the target has been
> migrated to device tree (which is a huge amount of work, lynxis has
> done major progress there), this should easily free 500 kB of the
> uncompressed kernel image.

The lzma-compressed size has increased by more than 200KB.  I dont
think it is caused by those mach files.

It has been quite a while since I tried building ar71xx kernel by
deleting unneeded mach files first.  I believe the size reduction was
not so impressive that I do not remember them at all...

Cheers
                yousong

> Cheers
>
> Daniel
>
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 12:49:04PM +0800, Yousong Zhou wrote:
>> Several days ago I tried to build a firmware for HiWiFi-HC6361 with
>> LEDE master branch.  Yet the firmware was not present in
>> bin/targets/ar71xx/generic after the build completed.  I checked the
>> downloads.lede-project.org the firmware was also missing there.
>>
>> The problem is that mtdparts layout of HC6361 requires the kernel part
>> to be not bigger than 1280KB (1310720 bytes).  Yet the lzma-compressed
>> kernel uImage has exceeded this size limit.
>>
>> The current size of lede-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin in
>> downloads.lede-project.org is 1367988
>>
>> The corresponding file in OpenWrt downloads site are as follows
>>
>>     snapshot         1295637
>>     15.05.1            1176662
>>     14.07               1107048
>>
>> My device is currently running 4.1.16 with OpenWrt r48975.  So the
>> bloat probably comes from the 4.4 bump.  Sorry that at the moment I
>> can just bring the issue up and cannot find time to do further
>> investigation.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>>                 yousong

                yousong