[LEDE-DEV] ar71xx kernel size starts getting oversized

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:49:04 PDT 2016

Several days ago I tried to build a firmware for HiWiFi-HC6361 with
LEDE master branch.  Yet the firmware was not present in
bin/targets/ar71xx/generic after the build completed.  I checked the
downloads.lede-project.org the firmware was also missing there.

The problem is that mtdparts layout of HC6361 requires the kernel part
to be not bigger than 1280KB (1310720 bytes).  Yet the lzma-compressed
kernel uImage has exceeded this size limit.

The current size of lede-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin in
downloads.lede-project.org is 1367988

The corresponding file in OpenWrt downloads site are as follows

    snapshot         1295637
    15.05.1            1176662
    14.07               1107048

My device is currently running 4.1.16 with OpenWrt r48975.  So the
bloat probably comes from the 4.4 bump.  Sorry that at the moment I
can just bring the issue up and cannot find time to do further
investigation.

Regards

                yousong