[LEDE-DEV] target-specific defaults

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Jul 31 04:28:24 PDT 2016

hi!

i believe that on some targets it would be nice to have cgroups,
namespaces, seccomp and misc stuff needed for LXC as well as systemd-
based guests enabled by default.
currently there is only a single default for those CONFIG_KERNEL_*
symbols and changing Config-kernel.in to have them selected on specific
targets feels like the wrong place.
thus my question: can we introduce FEATURE flags similar to low_mem and
small_flash, such as massive_ram and abundant_flash to indicate that
it doesn't make sense to be too stingy on specific (sub-)target?
could the present of such FEATURE flags influence the defaults in
config/Config-*.in?
on another page this infrastructure could also be done via DEVICE_TYPE
(see target.mk), however, that assumes that all devices of a specific
target belong to the same type, which isn't true e.g. on mvebu which
is commonly used for routers as well as NAS devices ranging from a
few megs of SPI NOR up to hundreds of megs of NAND.

what do you think? i reckon there are also other places where defaults
should diverge e.g. for having debugging stuff built-in by default or
have more generous busybox defaults.

cheers

daniel