[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

Weedy weedy2887 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 06:19:44 PST 2016

So I can;t find the exact mail I was going to reply to a few days ago
(WHYYYYYYYY does the android gmail client force send html...) so I'm
nuking all context. Sorry.

I have been quite happy with the LEDE name change.
I'm been a OpenWRT user since before WR. I will be the first to agree
that the name OpenWRT has built a following, and a meaning. But as
someone whose used and built project on top of OpenWRT it's also
brought up questions in the past few years. Don't pretend like OpenWRT
means sunshine and rainbows.

So the project gets forked and I'm thinking "well f**k". But since
then I've only experienced positive things from LEDE. I have to make
distclean MUCH less to keep up with master, my home router seems to
perform better, my WiFi for sure performs better, productivity in the
tree seems like it's up/faster. In the mean time the OpenWRT commit
log has slowed to a crawl. While we here and preparing for a release
OpenWRT seems like they are going to coast on CC for at least half of
2017.

I've had a souring opinion of "OpenWRT" for a while, and instead of
treating the split like a kick in the pants what's left of OpenWRT
seems to have given up.

Someone brought up OpenELEC/LibreELEC. Go look at OpenELEC
development, it's dead. LibreELEC has gotten a couple full releases
out since the split and is snowballing to make improvements faster.
Whatever project management struggles happened to cause the split,
"the new guard" is now unimpeded and seems to be making great
progress.

I'm not a dev, I'm just a loud user with opinions. It's not my place
to dictate what happens in this project.
But whatever the decision ends up being as a user I just don't want to
performant router that likes to panic randomly. Today I can almost
weekly update my router and get an operating system that FEELS better
on my laptop/phone almost every time. I have less buffer bloat, I have
better QoS, I have HOPE in the project again.

So yeah, OpenWRT means something to me, but LEDE has in this short
amount of time come to mean more POSITIVE things to me. I'm actually a
little annoyed at seeing so many people immediately wanting to dump
LEDE and run back to OpenWRT especially with them seemingly not having
learned from the mistakes that caused the split in the first place.