[LEDE-DEV] [OpenWrt-Devel] Talks between OpenWrt and LEDE

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Mon Dec 26 23:28:25 PST 2016

On 27/12/2016 08:08, David Lang wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2016, Kathy Giori wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM, John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:
>>>
>> [..]
>>> i am still very much in favour of having 2 trees, one stable and one dev
>>> tree. this would allow everyone to choose what they think fits their
>>> needs best.
>>
>> I too have liked this idea since I first heard it.
>

> This sounds good at first listen, but doesn't actually work.

Hi David,

again you start your contribution with, "there is only one way and no
alternatives" this somewhat kills the discussion.

> tl;dr this is a "I think you should do a lot of boring work" plan.
> nobody is volunteering to do the work

we already have 2-3 volunteers and will most have a release branch that
we maintain. i think you somewhat misunderstood what the discussion here
is. the discussion is not whether there will be 2 trees, but how to name
them and what domains to host the under ... and it is off-topic really.

no one mentioned that one half of the team will do one tree and the
other the other tree. there will be people putting their work focus on
this but that does not mean they wont be doing other work that they were
previously involved in. also making it sound like that this separation
will be based on current project membership status is just false and
paints a really wrong and counter productive image of the on going
discussion.

the statements from the owrt side that you are quoting were never made.
something similar was said but your representation is simply false

i agree on the part that we need to provide a stable tree for people to
trust it, but your "it'll be out dated" is just painting the world black
and i simply don't agree with that statement.

	John