[LEDE-DEV] TP-Link Archer C7 boot loop

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Mon Aug 22 14:01:03 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:30:42PM +0200, Jochen Demmer wrote:
> Thank you everybody,
>
> I've been trying for 2 hours straight to unbrick via serial, using a
> prolific pl2303 adapter but without success.
>
> I tried screen, picocom and minicom. I tried Apple's terminal emulator and
> iTerm2. Got me a Mac and then Linux. Desperate as I am also connected
> another C7.
> I tried like a whole bunch of different settings but no matter what, I get
> gibberish characters.
>
> ./picocom /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 115200 -y n -d 8 -p 1
>
> These are the settings I think they should be set to, but it just won't
> work.
> Actually only RX and TX are connected, because when I connect GND the serial
> connection freezes and let USB subsystem crash. Connecting VCC doesn't seem
> like a good idea, too.

NEVER connect the VCC of the board to a USB-to-serial adapter!

> Any hints?

If connecting the ground causes problems like you described, probably
the device is really far-off the ground-level compared to the GND of
the USB port, so when connected you got a non-neglectible current
flowing and supposedly frying the USB-to-serial dongle. This is often
caused by crappy power supplies, so if you got a laptop, try running
it from battery and have the GND connected, that may fix it.