[LEDE-DEV] TP-Link Archer C7 boot loop

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Mon Aug 22 02:29:48 PDT 2016

On 20/08/16 22:35, Jochen Demmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I bricked an Archer C7 v2 by installing some homebrew
> (buildroot) lede firmware.

I've only once encountered an issue which I can only assume was a bad
flash.  It's a few months ago so memory is vague.  The serial console
was booting linux but it was reporting something about corrupt
filesystem markers & couldn't mount filesystems.  Even using the tftp
recovery method to re-install factory firmware didn't work...the factory
firmware was having similar partition table issues.  I genuinely thought
I'd bricked it and purchased a replacement that very morning...with the
replacement up & running I then set about seeing what I could do with
the borked unit.  Following the 'serial unbrick' instructions at
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr7500 I was able to unbrick it
and it's been fine ever since... I'm using it as an additional access
point for downstairs in the house, the new one is upstairs.

        Recovery using serial connection

Connect to your router via serial, power it up, then type "tpl" until
the boot process is halted and you should be at the console. Set up a
TFTP server with your firmware at 192.168.1.100, then run the following
commands (for v2 only):

tftp 0x81000000 [name of your firmware file].bin
erase 0x9f020000 +f80000
cp.b 0x81000000 0x9f020000 0xf80000
reset

I'm convinced it was the 'erase' command that cleared out some bad data
in the flash.  Like I said, the unit has been absolutely rock solid ever
since.

Kevin