[LEDE-DEV] LEDE builds kernel from scratch after minor changes

Jonas Gorski jonas.gorski at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:17:47 PDT 2016

On 16 August 2016 at 15:40, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 August 2016 at 11:55, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I got used to doing some small target modifications, calling "make
>> V=s" and getting new image quickly build.
>>
>> From some time (less than a month I think) modifying e.g.
>> target/linux/bcm53xx/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network
>> and calling "make V=s" results in cleaning and rebuilding whole kernel.
>>
>> I think it also happens after changing config with "make kernel_menuconfig".
>>
>> Is this intentional? Could LEDE building system be improved to e.g.
>> react only to kernel patches changes?
>
> This is probably caused by
> kernel: make the kernel build auto-clean the build dir like package builds
> https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commitdiff;h=22ef1c83b35cd5633b0c58c9c38a43494a906a6a
> (as some pointed to me).
>
> Felix: is this possible to limit auto-cleaning to track changes in
> patches-*/ files-*/ and files/ only? So e.g. changing something in
> base-files or config-* won't trigger it?

I just pushed a fix in f3923dab7b79e436292ce51c2cdc358dac2c81f3. I
think the code was intended to do that, but the dependency checker was
passed the CURDIR (being the target's main directory, causing it pick
up any minor changes), and PKG_FILE_DEPENDS (empty) instead of
PKG_KERNEL_DEPENDS (which contains the expected generic/files-*
generic-patches-* etc).

After the next reextraction it should now properly not reextract for
changes outside of files*/patches* and track changes in generic/files*
and generic/patches*.

Jonas