[PATHC v2 0/9] ima: carry the measurement list across kexec

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Fri Sep 16 12:47:13 PDT 2016

Mimi Zohar <zohar at linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 18:38 -0400, Mimi Zohar wrote:

>> > I'll merge these into -mm to get some linux-next exposure.  I don't
>> > know what your upstream merge plans will be?
>>
>> Sounds good.  I'm hoping to get some review/comments on this patch set
>> as well.  At the moment, I'm chasing down a kernel test robot report
>> from this afternoon.
>
> My concern about changing the canonical format as originally defined in
> patch 9/9 from big endian to little endian never materialized.  Andreas
> Steffan, the patch author, is happy either way.
>
> We proposed two methods of addressing Eric Biederman's concerns of not
> including the IMA measurement list segment in the kexec hash as
> described in  https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/9/9/355.
>
> - defer calculating and verifying the serialized IMA measurement list
> buffer hash to IMA
> - calculate the kexec hash on load, verify it on the kexec execute,
> before re-calculating and updating it.

I need to ask: How this is anticipated to interact with kexec on panic?
Because honestly I can't see this ever working in that case.  The
assumption is that the original kernel has gone crazy.  So from a
practical standpoint any trusted path should have been invalided.

This entire idea of updating the kexec image makes me extremely
extremely nervious.  It feels like sticking a screw driver through the
spokes of your bicicle tires while ridding down the road.

I can see tracking to see if the list has changed at some
point and causing a reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_KEXEC) to fail.

At least the common bootloader cases that I know of using kexec are very
minimal distributions that live in a ramdisk and as such it should be
very straight forward to measure what is needed at or before
sys_kexec_load.  But that was completely dismissed as unrealistic so I
don't have a clue what actual problem you are trying to solve.

If there is anyway we can start small and not with this big scary
infrastructure change I would very much prefer it.

Eric