Kdump on ARM64

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Thu Jan 8 00:10:34 PST 2015

Hi Anurup,

On 01/08/2015 03:35 PM, Anurup M wrote:
> Hi Akashi, Geoff,
>
> 	I tried to check kdump on arm64 on Foundation model. The/proc/vmcore is generated.
> But I couldnot check if it is proper. Is there a makedumpfile binary for arm64? and also crash tool.
> I used the master branch of https://git.linaro.org/people/geoff.levand/linux-kexec.git to verify.
>   	Please provide some information about the current status or support for kdump on arm64?
> and the ways to verify or start development on Foundation model.

The story is that I used to work on kdump, but handed it off
to Geoff at some time. Since then, he merged it into his repo
but I don't think that he has tested (verified) it yet.
So please take it as a study work (or prototype), although I'm
pretty sure that it works well on model except some issues.

Regarding /proc/vmcore, if you can retrieve it to your host machine,
you can simply verify the contents as follows:
   $ aarch64-linux-gnu-gdb vmlinux core(=vmcore)
   (gdb) info threads
   (gdb) bt

I also have a trivial patch for crash tool to cross-build it, but
arm64 support (by RedHat folk) is already there.

Thanks,
-Takahiro AKASHI