Kernel panics when using kexec for rebooting

Dave Lloyd dave at davelloyd.com
Tue May 14 18:25:26 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:

> Yes this does seem to be all over the place, and memory corruption
> probably caused by ongoing-dma seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

Thank goodness it's not just me! :-)

> The easy first thing to try is to remove all of your kernel modules
> before you reboot with kexec.  Not infrequently the module remove path
> is better tested than the device shutdown path.

I'm trying this now. In one panic, the pte referenced was
0x100010000000000 which sure looks a whole like someone wrote his
registers in there. It certainly doesn't look like a valid pte.

So far, unloading pata_acpi and pata_amd seem to have eliminated the
ACPI exception messages. I believe that this resets the device
properly. Unfortunately, it looks like lots of drivers don't implement
the pci_driver->shutdown call, so it would make sense that this is a
relatively widespread problem.

--dlloyd