Kernel panics when using kexec for rebooting

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue May 14 18:01:06 EDT 2013

Dave Lloyd <dave at davelloyd.com> writes:

> All:
>
> I seem to be able to relatively reliably panic a system when using
> kexec to reboot. This does not happen during a normal boot sequence.
> Unfortunately, the stack trace I get for the panic is not consistent.
> I've included a few here. Mostly they seem to center on what smells
> like some sort of memory corruption to me. I'm kind of banging my head
> against the wall with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes this does seem to be all over the place, and memory corruption
probably caused by ongoing-dma seems like a reasonable hypothesis.

The easy first thing to try is to remove all of your kernel modules
before you reboot with kexec.  Not infrequently the module remove path
is better tested than the device shutdown path.

Eric