32TB kdump

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Sun Jun 30 20:55:53 EDT 2013

(2013/06/28 6:17), Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:17:14AM -0500, Cliff Wickman wrote:

> Try using snappy or lzo for faster compression.
>
>>    So a good workaround for a very large system might be to dump uncompressed
>>    to an SSD.
>
> Interesting.
>
>>    The multi-threading of the crash kernel would produce a big gain.
>
> Hatayama once was working on patches to bring up multiple cpus in second
> kernel. Not sure what happened to those patches.
>
>> - Use of mmap on /proc/vmcore increased page scanning speed from 4.4 minutes
>>    to 3 minutes.  It also increased data copying speed (unexpectedly) from
>>    38min. to 35min.
>
> Hmm.., so on large memory systems, mmap() will not help a lot? In those
> systems dump times are dominidated by disk speed and compression time.
>
> So far I was thinking that ioremap() per page was big issue and you
> also once had done the analysis that passing page list to kernel made
> things significantly faster.
>
> So on 32TB machines if it is taking 2hrs to save dump and mmap() shortens
> it by only few minutes, it really is not significant win.

Sorry, I've explained this earlier in this ML.

Some patches have been applied on makedumpfile to improve the filtering speed.
Two changes that were useful for the improvement are the one implementing
a 8-slot cache for physical page for the purpose of reducing the number of
/proc/vmcore access for paging (just as TLB), and the one that cleanups
makedumpfile's filtering path.

Performance degradation by ioremap() is now being hided on a single cpu, but
it would again occur on multiple cpus. Sorry, but I have yet to do benchmark
showing the fact cleanly as numeral values.

--
Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke