Problem with kexec on i386, linux-3.5

Khalid Aziz khalid.aziz at hp.com
Fri Sep 7 16:29:27 EDT 2012

On 07/24/2012 11:49 AM, Christian Schaubschläger wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this; if it's not,
> I'd like to apologize.
>
> Here's a short description of my problem:
>
> I have a tiny protected-/real mode program, which I start using kexec
> (kexec-tools 2.0.3 released 05 April 2012). At some point this program
> makes a call to extended-int13 to read data from the disk. Now
> starting with linux-3.5-rc1 (and at least up to linux-3.5) this
> extended int13 call does not work any more. Apparently the call
> returns with error code 0x80, which means "timeout (not ready)".
>
> I have two machines here, both with Intel chipsets (one CougarPoint,
> one older ICH7-M), and I see the same behaviour on both machines.
>
> When I use older kernels (starting from 2.6.something up to 3.4.6),
> everything works fine.
>
> Now I'm not sure if this is a kernel issue, or a kexec issue, or a
> mistake by myself. Maybe someone has a hint for me...
>
> If required, of course, I can provide more detailed information about
> my hardware, kernel config, etc. (since I'm not sure if this is the
> correct place, I wanted to keep this message short for now).

Hello Christian,

Are you not loading the driver for your disk drive controller when the
new kernel boots up, even though you are not using the driver for disk
I/O? If yes, the driver should have re-enabled Bus Master bit in its
init routine. If you are loading the driver, which driver is it? I can
take a look at it and see if there is anything missing in the
initialization routine. Can you also include output from "lspci -v" from
your machine?

Khalid