makedumpfile availability for x86 3.2 kernels

Bouchard Louis louis.bouchard at canonical.com
Wed May 2 10:42:21 EDT 2012

Hello Kumagai-san,

Le 27/04/2012 06:24, Atsushi Kumagai a écrit :
> Hello Louis,
> Sorry, I haven't tested makedumpfile for 3.2 kernel yet, but I think it
> will work fine. If makedumpfile doesn't work in your environmental, then
> would you report it ?
>
> For your information, Suzuki reported that makedumpfile works for 3.2 kernel
> on ppc32.
>
>   http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2012-February/006022.html
>

> Thanks
> Atsushi Kumagai

Following your advice, I tested it on our current kernel build. One of
the Ubuntu kernel developper tested it as well and here is what we get :

> makedumpfile -g vmcoreinfo-3.2.0-24-generic -x ../../build/build-generic/vmlinux
> The kernel version is not supported.
> The created dumpfile may be incomplete.
> generate_vmcoreinfo: Can't find the memory type.
>
> makedumpfile Failed.

I am rebuilding makedumpfile from the latest source (our version is
1.3.7 which is rather old) and will try to debug it further. I will let
you know what I find.

Kind regards,

...Louis

--