kdump kernel tried to load modules not included in the kdump initrd?

Cong Wang xiyou.wangcong at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 07:26:06 EST 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 at 07:46 GMT, Jay Lan <jay.zen.lan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi, Jay,

This mailing list is not proper for reporting problems of distro's
mkdumprd, please file a bug in bugzilla of centos.

> I have a 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6 kernel, and kexec-tools-2.0.0-145.el6.x86_64
> rpm on a cent6 machine.
>
> When i forced a kdump by 'echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger',
> the kdump kernel panicked during the boot. Surprisingly,
> it tried to load lustre modules that should not be part of
> the initrd and panicked!
>
> The syslog showed the --initrd specified a kdump.img
> when kdump was started. I dumped out the kdump.img
> (with zcat) and verified that no lustre module was included
> in the initrd image.

lsinitrd can do that too.

> So, how did this have happened?

Odd, el6 mkdumprd picks all modules listed by lsmod in your *first
kernel*, so it is not surprised mkdumprd picks it. But if it is not
picked into kdump initrd, it is almost impossible that it will be
loaded in the second kernel.