kexec 2.0.2 MIPS

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Tue Sep 20 23:45:21 EDT 2011

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 08:14:21PM +0000, ANDY KENNEDY wrote:
> > Guys, sorry for the long lines on that last e-mail attempt.
> > I, unfortunately, have to use LookOut at work.  This is a
> > better formatted message:
> >
> > Attempting to make kexec work for Mips32r2.  2.0.1 works, 2.0.2
> > doesn't.  Looking through the differences of the arch/mips
> folders
> > I find that there is a reference to an extern simple_setup_start.
> > In 2.0.1 this appears to be referencing asm code from the file
> > simple_setup_start.S, however, in 2.0.2 I cannot find the
> > referenced location.
> >
> > Is this the reason that I cannot get a Linux kernel to boot using
> > 2.0.2 using the same command line as the 2.0.1?
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> I'm a little unsure why it is that your platform broke between
> 2.0.1
> and 2.0.2. And I'm even less sure what simple_setup_start is/was
> (I don't see it in 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 or the current master branch).
>
> However, I do have a few suggestions.
>
> 1. Is it possible for you to try the latest development tree?
>    It is available at git://github.com/horms/kexec-tools.git while
>    kernel.org is on holidays.

Eh, best way to get time is to claim you don't have it.

Done.  Doesn't work.  The only way I could get 2.0.1 to work was via
the following command:
kexec -l -f vmlinux # vmlinuz works too.
With this command, I get a Booted Linux system quickly.  With 2.0.2+,
however, I get blackness.  It never even kernel panics (I've left it
accidentally for 6 hours, no change).

So, I haven't dug into the WHY yet, but it is late and it probably
won't happen tonight.

If I get it to work with >2.0.1, I'll make a patch and send it in.

> 2. If that doesn't work is it possible for your to perform a git
>    bisection between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3? I don't imagine that should
>    take a great deal of time.

Not a big git user, so I don't know what this would do for me.

However, since neither 2.0.2 NOR 2.0.3 work, shouldn't it be more
like 2.0.1 and 2.0.2?  Let me know what you want me to do (spoon
feed me the git command{,s}) and I'll try it.