[Crash-utility] [RFC] makedumpfile, crash: LZO compression support

Dave Anderson anderson at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 12:32:10 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hello Hatayama-san,
>
> > How about the patch adding compression/IO time report?
> > I intended it only for the presentation of this RFC.
>
> I think the above patch was posted only for this discussion,
> and I won't merge it into the makedumpfile.
>

> > I'll post the corresponding patch in crash's side after crash 6.0.2 is
> > released, waiting for new configuration editing feature as Dave has explained.
>
> If the Crash supports LZO compression, I'll merge the feature into
> the makedumpfile.

I suppose it's a chicken-and-egg situation, but despite the recent
addition of the extra-library build feature added to the crash
utility, I wasn't planning to accept LZO compression support until
it was first supported in makedumpfile.  And even with crash support,
it would still require a hand-rebuild of the crash utility sources.

If this is merged into makedumpfile and crash, will Fujitsu's next
step will be to try to make it non-optional?  I'm still not convinced
it's worth forcing the pre-installation of the additional packages
and library by default.

Dave