Problems compiling kexec-tools

Zitt Zitterkopf zittware at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:47:10 EST 2010

> BTW, have you looked at the petitboot bootloader? For
> the most part it is a better choice than kboot.
> It provides essentially all the functionality that
> kboot does, plus more, it is easier to build, and it
> is a currently maintained project.
>
> The petitboot package can be built for x86. That is
> how much of its development is done, but OpenWRT does
> not yet support an x86 build of petitboot (that
> would create a grub second stage image). My plan is
> to add x86 PC support next. I don't think it is very
> difficult to do, I just have not had time to do it.

petitboot looks interesting; but I need the tool chain ready to go for x86.

Currently For our project, we are using a patched version of kboot which runs on x86.

I do see some benefit for petitboot with the graphical menu. Ideally we'd need a version which reads each partition looking for multiple /boot kernels and present a method to select each one using a alpha char. Kinda like the old System Commander app.

In my config; I'll have multiple linux kernels on the disk. I envision having Android, Moblin2.0, and several other flavors of linux in partitions and needing to boot to each at runtime.