Kexec for ARM: Is it expected to load old kernels?

Brian Smucker bsmucker at anabaptists.org
Mon Apr 12 10:52:12 EDT 2010

Hi

So it appears I cannot load pre-2.6.24 kernels ARM kernels.  I have some
further questions.

Is this an ARM-only thing?

If I want to load an arbitrary kernel, am I out of luck?

I thought theoretically kexec was able to execute arbitrary elf
binaries, non-kernals, etc.  Is this true, or only my own misconception?

Or is it true in general, but not for ARM?

If it is not true for ARM, can I fix it?

I would like kexec to be able to boot old,old kernels, of the 2.4.16
vintage.

Can you help answer these questions?

Thanks,

Brian