mips32 kexec failed, bug?

wilbur.chan wilbur512 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 10:32:39 EDT 2009

mips32 board:

I used kexec to reboot a new kernel, but I found that , the second
kernel stopped when calling 'prom_getenv("memsize") '  in booting.

That is , kernel: setup_arch-->prom_init-->'prom_getenv("memsize")'  failed

So I checked the code in kexec-tool , and I found that ,in
mips-simple-setup.S,  register a2 was set to 0, which was passed to
the second kernel as envirment variable address.

I guess here a2 should not be set to 0 , is it a BUG in kexec-tool ,
when dealing with mips?

ps: I don't have mail address of the authors who wrote mips support
for kexec ,  Francesco Chiechi, Alessandro Rubini , Tvblob s.r.l.

So I wrote directly to this maillist to search for help.

Thank you